Post by Kim, Information Services
2021 has been the year of queer for my bookshelf with over half of the books I’ve read this year featuring 2SLGBTQIA+ characters or written by an author who identifies as 2SLGBTQIA+. I especially love graphic novels and I have not been disappointed by the amount of excellent queer options released over the past few years.
I wanted to share a bunch of my favourite new graphic novels that if you haven’t read yet, you should add to your to-read list ASAP!
- Cosmoknights | Hannah Templer
- Thirsty Mermaids | Kat Leyh
- The Pride Omnibus | Joe Glass & Cem Iroz, Hector Barros, Jacopo Camagni, Ryan Cody
- I Am Not Starfire | Mariko Tamaki & Yoshi Yoshitani
- Dragman | Steven Appleby
- The Girl from the Sea | Molly Ostertag
Slice of Life
- Boys Run the Riot | Keito Gaku
- Grease Bats | Archie Bongiovanni
- Stone Fruit | Lee Lai
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me | Mariko Tamaki & Rosemary Valero-O’Connell
- I Think Our Son is Gay | Okura
- Cheer Up: Love and Pompoms | Crystal Frasier & Val Wise
Coming Out Stories (Fiction)
- Magic Fish | Trung Le Nguyen
- Flamer | Mike Curato
- Coming Out Again | Sabrina Symington
- Juliet Takes a Breath | Gabby Rivera & Celia Moscote
- Heartstopper | Alice Oseman
- You Brought Me the Ocean Alex Sanchez & Julie Maroh
- Spellbound | Bishakh Som
- Red Rock Baby Candy | Shira Spector
- My Life in Transition | Julia Kaye
- The Times I Knew I was Gay | Eleanor Crewes
- How to be Ace | Rebecca Burgess
- I’m a Wild Seed | Sharon De La Cruz
If you like books by 2SLGBTQIA+ identifying authors or with stories with queer themes, you may want to join us Wednesday October 27th at 7pm for QueerKPL Book Club! We are reading Over the Top by Jonathan Van Ness. Register here if you’re interested.
Have questions? Want more recommendations?