Post by Anne, Curtis, Megan & Valerie, Information Services staff
When you think about digital library content, we hope you’ll also think about children’s content. The best reasons to access children’s resources online are that the content is free, it does not have advertisements and it is often educational! We have platforms that are geared just for kids, like Tumble Books, LOTE Online for Kids, and Teen Book Cloud. Plus many of your favourite services like Hoopla, Summa and DownloadLibrary have dedicated Kids modes. November 20th is the Day of the Child, which is about celebrating children as active citizens. So what are you waiting for? Check it out today!
Check out this playlist for kids! All the best pop music titles made for a younger audience. Sing-along with these top-charters that everyone knows the words to.
What to Watch
Short films, animations, read along picture books, feature length movies and informative entertainment, our selection has all of the visual media you could want. Each video or video series can be watched by children and parents alike, so take some time to get cozy this November and enjoy some fascinating and fantastical finds.
- The Arabic Quilt | Aya Khalil
- Bump in the Night: Season 1 | Ken Pontac, David Bleiman
- Crown: An Ode to a Fresh Cut | Andy T. Jones
- The Girl Who Hated Books | Jo Meuris
- It’s A Dog’s Life | Julie Rembauville & Nicolas Bianco-Levrin
- Jaime Lo, Small and Shy | Lillian Chan
- The Last Unicorn | Arthur Rankin Jr. & Jules Bass
- Magnificent Homespun Brown | Andy T. Jones
- Canadian Museum of Nature | Curio.ca
- I Talk Like a River | Andy T. Jones
- The Neverending Story | Wolfgang Peterson
- Wapos Bay: A Time for Pride | Dennis Jackson
What to Listen to
Kids enjoy listening to podcasts, stories and music. Check out these suggestions and selections which are entertaining (or informative) for the whole family to enjoy!
- By Kids For Kids Story Time, Vol 1
- Disney Junior Music: T.O.T.S., Volume 2
- Kidz Bop 2021
- Pete the Cat’s 12 Groovy Days of Christmas
- Rapunzel and Other Classics of Childhood
- Prime Time for Podcasts: It’s a Golden Age for Both Listeners and Creators
- Let the Game Shows Begin: These Podcasts Keeps Kids Guessing and Give Families Fodder for Debate
- Elementary Students Share West Coast Indigenous Stories in Their Very Own Podcast
- Songs for the preschool demographic; Local artist behind puppet group set out to create music kids and parents can enjoy
- Storybooks and Radio Connect Youngsters in Far-Flung Alaska
What to Read
Fun reads for kids of all ages! eBooks, e-audiobooks, magazines and articles.
- Anne of the Island | L.M. Montgomery
- Have I Ever Told You Black Lives Matter | Shani King
- Ivy Aberdeen’s Letter to the World | Ashley Herring Blake
- Minecraft Secrets and Cheats
- The Girl Who Dared | Shirin Shamsi
- TIME for Kids Family
- Where the Red Fern Grows | Wilson Rawls
- Which Nose for Witch? | David Crosby
Here are some other ways to inspire the child in your life…
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! The concept is simple; the rewards are priceless. Read a book – any book – to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1000 books (yes, you can repeat books) before your child starts kindergarten. Sign up by registering at kplreads.readsquared.com. If you have any questions or need assistance please contact us at 1000BooksB4K@kpl.org.
Billie’s Book Picks
Billie Bookbot is a special helper who puts together surprise bags for the library. Billie handpicks each book to make sure that it’s perfect for our 0-15 year old readers. Each bag comes with 5-10 titles and you can choose from Picture Books, Board Books, Early Readers, Comics & Graphic Novels, and Chapter Books. Click here to request a surprise bag for your child. Billie’s Tip: Want to support your child’s online learning? Our Non-Fiction Educator Kits are filled with new discoveries that make learning fun! Click here to request an Educator Kit.
Languages Other Than English
Looking to help kids with other languages? Try Cantook Station or LOTE Online for Kids.
Cantook Station is an e-book and e-audiobook collection that offers French-language titles published in Quebec and French translations of English titles for all ages. LOTE Online for Kids let’s you choose from 850 digital books in 35+ languages. Each book is translated and narrated in English to help with reading and literacy development.
Did you know we have a dedicated blog for kids? KPL Kids has ideas, resources, and cool stuff for kids and families to enjoy together! Our mission is simple: connect you with great books, engage with you through program ideas, and provide you with fun activities to keep you busy all week long. Plus, check out videos for kids you can watch anytime on the library’s YouTube channel.
Have questions? Want more recommendations?
Call: 519-743-0271 | TTY: 1-877-614-4832 | Email: email@example.com | Chat: kpl.org